Eddystone produced plantation radial saddle-tanks for Lihue over many years, each time increasing power. Although built with the same boiler, firebox and cylinder volume as the 1917 engine shown in Locobase 14528, the 9's boiler was pressed to a higher degree and its driver diameter was cut by 4" (102 mm). A later "Hereafter" note entered in March 1932 stated that the plantation found the back truck springs were too weak, which prompted the instruction that back engine truck springs were to be made to carry 1,500 lb (680 kg) each.
After twenty years of service, the 9 was scrapped in December 1950.
Returning to Baldwin for another Baldwin radial tank, this Kauai plantation road specified a slightly larger boiler and grate.
Seven years after the production of the Lihue (Locobase 13767), the Kauai plantation ordered another locomotive. This was a considerably heavier engine, however.
The Lihue Plantation was founded in 1849, making it one of the oldest plantations in the Hawai'ian Islands.
The first locomotive of this pair was ordered by Makee Sugar Company to be shipped to the Hawaiian Republic's island of Kauai, but before it arrived, the islands had been annexed to the United States. No matter, the work remained the same. Makee arrived in 1899 after it was converted from burning soft coal to burning oil. Kealia joined the show in 1900.
Running a successful, long-lasting sugar plantation demanded attention to many details. The report from the Board of Commissioners describes one aspect:
"In the Puna District, the forest on the mountain is important ...[because] it protects the water-sheds and helps to maintain a uniform flow of the streams. Its value on this account is well understood by both the.Lihue Plantation and the Makee Sugar Companies, the two corporations controlling the greater part of the better land in this district."
The Commissioners noted that Makee Sugar supported the idea of a forest preserve that would encompass both private and public land. The board also noted the Lihu Plantation's efforts:
"The Lihue Plantation Company has had under fence since 1894 a considerable area of the forest land back of the plantation. Stock have been excluded and as a result a dense stand of Ohia Lehua (Metrosideros jiolymorpha) has sprung up. Beside the reservation of the native forest, the Lihue Plantation Company has also done much in the way of planting forest trees. Following the example of the Honorable G. N. Wilcox, who has for many years taken a deep interest in tree culture, the Lihue Plantation Company has planted since 1882 about 1,000 acres. The trees used have been principally lronwood (Casuarina equir seiifolia), Blue Gum (Eucalyptus globulus) and Koa, both the native and Australia species, (Acacia koa and Acacia melanoxylon)."
The Board emphasizes the forest-management strategy behind these plantings and celebrates the results: "The idea of these forest plantations is to furnish a supply of fire-wood and to create a forest cover to retain the rainfall on areas where the soil is poor in quality. On fulfilling these requirements the plantations have been an eminent success. An annual supply of some 250 cords of fire-wood has been obtained, while from the planted area a stream of almost a million gallons of water a day has been developed.
According to a history found on http://www.kauaibackcountry.com/history.html, the flume system that irrigated much of the property was built in 1870. It was a substantial project that included 51 miles of ditches filled by 18 intakes. They note the extensive interconnections and large watershed: "The Hanama'ulu Ditch System draws water as far away as the Hanalei Stream and merges with the North and South Fork of the Wailua River before it turns into the Hanama'ulu Ditch System. The four mile ditch system provides water to the Hanana'ulu basin. Today [after 2010], the Hanamaæulu Ditch System provides water for cattle ranchers, farmers and feeds projects such as the Lihue airport gateway project."
Both engines operated on the Lihue Plantation on Kauai's eastern shore until scrapped in December 1950.
|Specifications by Steve Llanso of Sweat House Media|
|Railroad||Lihue Plantation||Lihue Plantation||Lihue Plantation||Lihue Plantation|
|Number in Class||1||1||1||2|
|Builder||Baldwin||Baldwin||Baldwin||Burnham, Williams & Co|
|Locomotive Length and Weight|
|Driver Wheelbase (ft)||7.50||7.50||7.50||7|
|Engine Wheelbase (ft)||14.58||14.58||14.58||13.25|
|Ratio of driving wheelbase to overall engine wheebase||0.51||0.51||0.51||0.53|
|Overall Wheelbase (engine & tender) (ft)||14.58||14.58||14.58||13.25|
|Axle Loading (Maximum Weight per Axle) (lbs)|
|Weight on Drivers (lbs)||45,000||30,000||39,000||24,000|
|Engine Weight (lbs)||51,000||37,500||45,000||31,000|
|Tender Loaded Weight (lbs)|
|Total Engine and Tender Weight (lbs)||51,000||37,500||45,000||31,000|
|Tender Water Capacity (gals)||750||1000||1000||450|
|Tender Fuel Capacity (oil/coal) (gals/tons)||250||500||500|
|Minimum weight of rail (calculated) (lb/yd)||25||17||22||13|
|Geometry Relating to Tractive Effort|
|Driver Diameter (in)||33||37||37||33|
|Boiler Pressure (psi)||165||150||150||150|
|High Pressure Cylinders (dia x stroke) (in)||11" x 16"||11" x 16"||11" x 16"||10" x 16"|
|Tractive Effort (lbs)||8228||6671||6671||6182|
|Factor of Adhesion (Weight on Drivers/Tractive Effort)||5.47||4.50||5.85||3.88|
|Firebox Area (sq ft)||26||26||26||31|
|Grate Area (sq ft)||8.80||8.80||8.80||7.20|
|Evaporative Heating Surface (sq ft)||356||356||356||291|
|Superheating Surface (sq ft)|
|Combined Heating Surface (sq ft)||356||356||356||291|
|Evaporative Heating Surface/Cylinder Volume||202.29||202.29||202.29||200.08|
|Computations Relating to Power Output (More Information)|
|Robert LeMassena's Power Computation||1452||1320||1320||1080|
|Same as above plus superheater percentage||1452||1320||1320||1080|
|Same as above but substitute firebox area for grate area||4290||3900||3900||4650|