The B & SR connected the town of Bridgton, Maine with Hiram 16 miles further south beginning in 1882. Like many of the other Maine 2-footer lines, the railroad opened up the increasingly popular Bridgton-Lakes Region to summer tourists. Success in this venture led to the 21.2-mile extension of the line to Harrison, Me at the northern end of Long Lake.
Even as the Maine Central bought the B & SR in 1912, the first signs of decline were evident. Even as late as 1916, however, the line still operated at a profit. In that year, freight revenues were almost double that of the passenger hauls.
The Harrison-Bridgton segment closed after the railroad began run at a loss in the mid-1920s. When the B & SR itself closed in the mid-1920s, a new group incorporated as the Bridgton & Harrison reopened to serve the summer tourist crowd that still wanted to take the train.
The Maine Two-Footers were famous for their particular layout and the #6 bought in 1907 and described in Locobase 12904 was no exception. But traffic demands called for a bigger boiler and some more power. So Baldwin delivered this up-scaled version six years later. Eleven years after that the B&SR returned to Eddystone for a younger sister that was identical.
Like the 6, the 7 and 8 were taken onto the successor Bridgton & Harrison when the B & SR folded in 1930. In July 1941 bothe were sold to B O Checkwood, which soldt hem three months later to the Edaville Railroad in South Carver, Mass. Edaville was formed by Ellis D. Atwood, who began purchasing the fast-disappearing 2-foot-gauge rail and motive power to run on a 5 + mile line that would circulate through his 1,800 acre cranberry plantation. His was no idle "playing with trains." According to the Edaville site, Atwood "...used the trains to service his bogs as well as hauling paying customers through the plantation for sightseeing."
The Edaville operated the 7 and 8 until it closed in 1991. In 1993, the 8 and several other Edaville pieces were sold to the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum, which is headquartered in the former Portland Locomotive Works complex. See an account of the move at "Edaville's Final Years and the Return to Maine" at http://membrane.com/~elmer/rail/edaville/, last accessed 21 May 2013. 7 later joined the 8 at the museum.
|Specifications by Steve Llanso of Sweat House Media|
|Railroad||Bridgton & Saco River||Bridgton & Saco River|
|Number in Class||1||2|
|Builder||Burnham, Williams & Co||Baldwin|
|Locomotive Length and Weight|
|Ratio of driving wheelbase to overall engine wheebase||0.19||0.19|
|Overall Wheelbase (engine & tender)||23.67'||26'|
|Axle Loading (Maximum Weight per Axle)|
|Weight on Drivers||37500 lbs||38000 lbs|
|Engine Weight||55650 lbs||22500 lbs|
|Tender Light Weight|
|Total Engine and Tender Weight||55650 lbs||22500 lbs|
|Tender Water Capacity||800 gals||800 gals|
|Tender Fuel Capacity (oil/coal)||1.5 tons||1.5 tons|
|Minimum weight of rail (calculated)||31 lb/yard||32 lb/yard|
|Geometry Relating to Tractive Effort|
|Boiler Pressure||180 psi||180 psi|
|Cylinders (dia x stroke)||11.5" x 14"||12" x 16"|
|Tractive Effort||8094 lbs||10072 lbs|
|Factor of Adhesion (Weight on Drivers/Tractive Effort)||4.63||3.77|
|Firebox Area||56 sq. ft||62 sq. ft|
|Grate Area||11 sq. ft||12.70 sq. ft|
|Evaporative Heating Surface||571 sq. ft||659 sq. ft|
|Combined Heating Surface||571 sq. ft||659 sq. ft|
|Evaporative Heating Surface/Cylinder Volume||339.26||314.65|
|Computations Relating to Power Output (More Information)|
|Robert LeMassena's Power Computation||1980||2286|
|Same as above plus superheater percentage||1980||2286|
|Same as above but substitute firebox area for grate area||10080||11160|