Some short lines never get longer. In 1860, this railroad was incorporated with the goal on connecting Tuskegee, Ala with Chehaw, 5.7 miles distant on 5-foot (1,524 mm) gauge rail and a stop on the Western Railway of Alabama.
Rebuilt as a narrow-gauge line after its destruction during the Civil War, the TRR was owned by a partnership of three: E. T. Varner, L. V. Alexander and Campbell & Wright. It was converted to the standard gauge in 1898.
The company was reorganized in 1902, at which time, according to the Mississippi Rails website (http://www.msrailroads.com/Tuskegee.htm), the main purpose of the TR "..was to facilitate entrance into the grounds of the Tuskeegee Normal & Industrial Institute."
Schweiterman notes that in the 1920s, coal shipments to the Institute were supplemented by logs from the East Alabama Lumber Company's sawmill.
|Specifications by Steve Llanso of Sweat House Media|
|Number in Class||1|
|Builder||Burnham, Williams & Co|
|Locomotive Length and Weight|
|Ratio of driving wheelbase to overall engine wheebase||0.36|
|Overall Wheelbase (engine & tender)|
|Axle Loading (Maximum Weight per Axle)|
|Weight on Drivers||47000 lbs|
|Engine Weight||71000 lbs|
|Tender Light Weight||53000 lbs|
|Total Engine and Tender Weight||124000 lbs|
|Tender Water Capacity||2400 gals|
|Tender Fuel Capacity (oil/coal)|
|Minimum weight of rail (calculated)||39 lb/yard|
|Geometry Relating to Tractive Effort|
|Boiler Pressure||160 psi|
|Cylinders (dia x stroke)||14" x 22"|
|Tractive Effort||10860 lbs|
|Factor of Adhesion (Weight on Drivers/Tractive Effort)||4.33|
|Firebox Area||93 sq. ft|
|Grate Area||13.80 sq. ft|
|Evaporative Heating Surface||825 sq. ft|
|Combined Heating Surface||825 sq. ft|
|Evaporative Heating Surface/Cylinder Volume||210.47|
|Computations Relating to Power Output (More Information)|
|Robert LeMassena's Power Computation||2208|
|Same as above plus superheater percentage||2208|
|Same as above but substitute firebox area for grate area||14880|