The Aberdeen & Rockfish Railroad was incorporated in 1892 and eventually ran
from Aberdeen, NC through Raeford, NC and on to Fayetteville, NC. In the mid
1920s, Fort Bragg in North Carolina began to expand and as a result the A&R
became very busy delivering materials for the expansion of the Army post. With
the continuous press of business the short line railroad increased its motive
power through purchases of second hand "Mikado" type locomotives, with two
coming in 1929, one in 1935 and the last coming in 1941. This small railroad
did a huge job during World War II moving material and troops in and out of Fort
There is one surviving Aberdeen & Rockfish 2-8-2 "Mikado" type locomotives. It
is number 40, which is operational on the Valley Railroad. Number 40 had 48"
drivers and 20" x 28" cylinders.