The Lehigh & New England Railroad purchased four second hand locomotives from the Pennsylvania Railroad. These 2-8-2 were the only stream locomotives with trailing trucks that the L&NE would ever own. The former PRR Class L-1 "Mikados" arrived in 1941 and were PRR road numbers 190, 1315, 1719 and 1986. The PRR's Juniata shops built the first three and the Baldwin Locomotive Works built number 1986. Number 190 was built in 1916, number 1315 was built in 1915 and numbers 1719 and 1986 were built in 1918 and all four had trailing truck boosters. The locomotives were well liked by L&NE engine men because of their power and smooth ride.
There are no surviving L&NE 2-8-2 "Mikado" type locomotives.