The Sierra Railway was incorporated in 1897, and a 41-mile right-of-way was
completed between Oakdale, CA and Jamestown CA in late1897. The line was
extended to Sonora, CA in 1899 and to Tuolumne City, CA in 1900. A 19-mile
branch to Angels Camp was completed in 1902, and other temporary branches were
built to haul construction materials for the Stanislaus River and Tuolumne River
dams. The 57.4 miles of this short line railroad connected with the Union
Pacific and the Santa Fe at Oakdale, CA.
There are two surviving Sierra 2-8-2 "Mikado" type locomotives. They are
numbers 34 and 36. Number 34 is on display at Fred Kepner, Railtown 1897 State
Historic Park in Jamestown, CA. Number 36 is owned by Fred Kepner, who has this
locomotive in storage in Merrill, OR.