The first Hudson was built in 1933 and was a conversion of a Class P-1c, number 5047 done at Mt. Clare in Baltimore, MD. This locomotive was given Class V-1 designation and had 74" drivers, 21.5 x 28 cylinders and weighed 355,000 lbs and had a tractive effort of 52,000 lbs. This locomotive was used successfully on the Cumberland, Pittsburgh and Akron divisions and was retired in 1950.
The second Hudson, Class V-2, was built from the ground up and was given road number 2 and the name "Lord Baltimore". It had 84" drivers, 19 x 28 cylinders and weighed 284,000 lbs with a tractive effort of 34,000 lbs. This locomotive, built in 1935, was assigned to the "Royal Blue" which ran between New York and Washington, DC. Later in 1935, it was sent to the Alton Railroad along with its light weight train. It returned to the B&O in 1942 and was reworked, renumbered 5340 and placed in service pulling 5 car trains between Washington DC and Cumberland, MD. After a short time, it was stored at the Riverside Shop in Baltimore, MD, and was eventually scrapped in 1949.
Also in 1935, a Class V-3 Hudson was built with 80" drivers, 22.5 x 29 cylinders, weighing 365,000 lbs and had a tractive effort of 52,000 lbs. This completely new locomotive, numbered 5350, was used very successfully on passenger trains in the Cumberland, Pittsburgh and Akron divisions. It was scrapped in 1950 after many years of service.
The last Hudson, built in 1936, was designated Class V-4 and carried road number 5360. It had 80" drivers, 22.5 x 29 cylinders, weighed 369,000 lbs with a tractive effort of 52,000 lbs. This locomotive, built completely by the B&O was used in passenger service west of Cumberland, MD and lasted until 1950.
|Class||Qty||Road Number||Year Built||Builder|