oc50.jpg

The largest industry brought to the Geneva area by the railroad was the
Osceola Cypress Company. The company constructed a very large sawmill
north of Geneva and their log trains were among the first trains to use the
new railroad. Mr. E. T. Summersill began work for the company in 1919 and
remained as engineer until the mill was closed in 1942. The Summersill
family lived first in Geneva for a short time until quarters could be
found for them at Osceola. A locally generated map of Osceola shows the
Summersill home at Osceola. In 1922, Mr. Summersill was sent to Palatka
to bring back a new and larger train steam engine that had been ordered
from a factory in Patterson, New Jersey. Much to his surprise, he found
his own name in gold lettering on the cab of the engine. When the mill was
moved to Port Everglades in 1942, the plaque from the engine was presented
to Mr. Summersill. It is believed to be the only such factory installed
marker for an engine.

Information courtesy email