This Elizabeth, Louisiana company used light rail (35 lb/yard or 17.5 kg/metre) and had curves with radii as tight as 200 feet (61 metres) or 29 degrees. A wood-burning logging Prairie usually was the answer to such requirements (at least according to Baldwin) and so it was for ILC. They bought four over a seven-year period.
All had the same dimensions, but rolled with different weights. 101 and 103 put 77,000 lb (34,927 kg) on the drivers and 101,000 lb (45,813 kg) on all five axles. Both had Radley & Hunter stacks. Tenders held 3,000 gallons of water, 3 cords of wood. The last two put 1 1/2 tons more on the drivers, but only added 800 lb to total locomotive weight. Another detail change was the substitution of a Rushton Improved stack for the traditional R&H.
Elizabeth, in Calcasieu Parish, was founded as a company town in 1906 some 100 miles west of Baton Rouge. A 1922 advertisement for its "Calcasieu" timbers claimed that the company was running "Three modern mills, sawing annually 200 million feet."
By 1914, the town was advertising its cut-over pine lands in "small tracts to actual settlers,". Unlike many other such timber-dependent settlements, however, the town survived the exhaustion of nearby timber and numbered 532 inhabitants in the 2010 census. (See the blog http://historyhunts.blogspot.com/2012/03/jasper-and-eastern-railroad.html for a tour of Elizabeth that shows many of the ILC buildings that still stand.).
Part of the reason for Elizabeth's survival, according to the application for National Register of Historic Places reproduced in the blog, lies in ILC's enlightened views: "Industrial was also quite proud of its motto 'Builders, not spoilers.' According to a 1923 company publication, Industrial devoted considerable attention to developing suitable cut over land for agricultural use."
ILC ended its mill operations in 1940, but the paper mill continued in business.
Locobase cannot determine when the ILC's rail operations ended.
The 101 and 107 were then sold to Gulf Refining and operated for them until October 1947. The 101 was sold to Calcasieu Paper Co as their #5. The 5 later operated for C W Witbeck and Alex Huff. Alex Huff sold the 5 to a dealer named Arthur LeSalle, who sold it to the Gaslight Village in 1974.
107 went to the Red River & Gulf, then to the Calcasieu Paper Company.
106 was moved to Edmonton Park in Alberta in 1977 by TW Graham, extensively overhauled and converted to oil-burning, and put in service on the Edmonton, Yukon & Pacific in 1978.
|Specifications by Steve Llanso of Sweat House Media|
|Railroad||Industrial Lumber Co|
|Number in Class||4|
|Road Numbers||101, 103, 106-107|
|Locomotive Length and Weight|
|Ratio of driving wheelbase to overall engine wheebase||0.40|
|Overall Wheelbase (engine & tender)||47.12'|
|Axle Loading (Maximum Weight per Axle)|
|Weight on Drivers||80000 lbs|
|Engine Weight||107800 lbs|
|Tender Light Weight||60000 lbs|
|Total Engine and Tender Weight||167800 lbs|
|Tender Water Capacity||3000 gals|
|Tender Fuel Capacity (oil/coal)|
|Minimum weight of rail (calculated)||44 lb/yard|
|Geometry Relating to Tractive Effort|
|Boiler Pressure||180 psi|
|Cylinders (dia x stroke)||16" x 24"|
|Tractive Effort||21364 lbs|
|Factor of Adhesion (Weight on Drivers/Tractive Effort)||3.74|
|Firebox Area||92.50 sq. ft|
|Grate Area||14.40 sq. ft|
|Evaporative Heating Surface||1607 sq. ft|
|Combined Heating Surface||1607 sq. ft|
|Evaporative Heating Surface/Cylinder Volume||287.73|
|Computations Relating to Power Output (More Information)|
|Robert LeMassena's Power Computation||2592|
|Same as above plus superheater percentage||2592|
|Same as above but substitute firebox area for grate area||16650|