Chicago & Western Indiana 2-10-2 "Santa Fe" Locomotives of the USA

The Chicago & Western Indiana Railroad was incorporated on June 6, 1879, to interconnect many Chicago area railroads and belt lines to each other. In 1912, the C & WI acquired the Chicago Union Transfer Railway. Also, On November 1, 1912, a 999 year lease of some of its railroad, equipment and additional trackage rights was granted to the Belt Railway of Chicago. The B. R. of C. was a company owned by 12 connecting railroads to improve the interchange of cars and trains.

The twelve railroads were: Louisville, New Albany & Chicago Railway, Chicago & Atlantic Railway, Chicago & Eastern Illinois Railroad, Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway, and Chicago & Grand Trunk Railway, Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie Railway, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad, Illinois Central Railroad, Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, Pennsylvania Railroad, and Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. These twelve railroads leased the Belt Division from the Chicago & Western Indiana starting in 1912. The Pere Marquette Railway also joined as owner in 1924.

As of December 31, 1916, Moody's 1917 Railroad Manual reported that the C&W.I. owns an extensive system of terminals and belt lines in and around the city of Chicago; also passenger and freight depots, reality, etc. in the heart of the city, including the DearbornUnion Passenger Terminal.

In 1917, the railroad included: 151.45 miles of line, 99 steam locomotives (86 of which were leased to the Belt Railway of Chicago), and 1,326 freight cars (358 of which were on lease to B. R. of C.), Altogether, they connected to, and offered rentals, leases and trackage rights to, 34 different railroad companies. The company was well diversified and brought in significant profit year after year.

In 1931, the Pere Marquette bought approximately 41 miles of owned/leased lines in South Chicago. In 1933 the company acquired the Burlington, South Chicago Terminal Railroad.

The C&WI was allocated five USRA "Santa Fe-Lights" in 1919. The locomotives were built by the Baldwin Locomotives Works and were assigned road numbers 21 through 25. These locomotives had 57" diameter drivers, 27" x 32" cylinders, a 200 psi boiler pressure, they exerted 69,575 pounds of tractive effort and each weighed 352,000 pounds.

There are no surviving C&WI 2-10-2 "Santa Fe" type locomotives.


Roster by Richard Duley

QtyRoad NumbersYear BuiltBuilderNotes
521-251919BaldwinThese were USRA allocated "Santa Fe-Light" locomotives.

Photos

Reference


If you have any railroad data such as diagram books, rail station plans or anything else that you would be willing to share, please contact us.